Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Verizon/Qualcomm/Broadcomm- the last temptation

The latest news around the patent dispute between Qualcomm and Broadcom is evolving to be a priceless candidate as a Harvard business case. While I am a personal fan of CDMA and have been a loyal Verizon Wireless mobile customer forever, having to lug two phones when traveling to any other spot around the world was the first source of irritation that cast doubt on my loyalty. My irritation worsens each time I see walls full of GSM phones of innumerable variety at (pick your GSM carrier) outlet while I sulk at the dearth of cool phones at a Verizon or Sprint outlet.

The patent dispute is the last straw... I have been bombarded with upgrade letters, SMS's for $100 off my next locked CDMA phone. I am holding off.... resisting temptation of a shiny phone, even it is one of a handful of models on the rack... While there are silhouettes of iconized fruit glimmering in my eyes, I may simply settle for a sleek GSM phone that I can be assured will work wherever my airline lands.

Are you concerned about being stuck with a phone that is in the middle of a dispute between two chip companies? Do you GSM instead?

No comments: