Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Treo and Good Technology

I recently had to switch from a Blackberry to a Treo, with the Good Technology software client for enterprise e-mail integration. Here are some observations after a month of use...

1. The Good software appears to be an unsophisticated version of the Blackberry in terms of usability and device integration. The lack of font-size adjustment and the poor use of the limited screen real-estate leaves a lot to be desired. Even after a month us usage, I am finding that the stylus is not able to hit the appropriate menus comfortably and I am having to repeat many steps

2. The Treo 680 battery does not last more than 24 hours. I had to purchase an extended battery, with a different back lid from an after-market company. I lost the lid on my first trip and had to purchase a second battery just for the lid. Compared to the 2-3 day battery life of a blackberry, I would suggest that the performance is unacceptable.

3. The Treo also has several other qwirks, such as not having a compact USB connector for power. These cables are much easier to find and can be used for multiple devices. Instead, I now am lugging one extra cable to charge the Treo.

4. The Treo is heavy!

So what did I like about the Treo? Fairly responsive, bright screen.

No comments: